Table of contents
So you want to become a master at pay per click advertising?
To be a master, first you must know thy master. In the PPC advertising world your master is Google. Google operates by rewarding the strongest PPC ads while punishing all weak content. This is their way of controlling the market to maximize their profits. You are playing by their rules, now play to win.
A little quality goes a long way. The battle over keywords is becoming more fierce by the day, having superiority over your competitors will determine whether you have a strong ROI or are losing money. The more competitive your industry is, the harder it will be to increase your score. The edges are tight but the rewards can be plentiful. Focus on what you do best instead of trying to do everything at once.
Google does not reward average campaigns, make sure that your ads are perfect. A perfect ad will receive a high Quality Score from Google. This will have a huge impact on the cost of your paid advertisement campaigns. The strength of your ad will not only generate more sales but its value to the marketplace will compound into lower costs and more exposure.
What is Quality Score?
Quality Score is Google’s system of evaluating the strength and performance of your ads. It all boils down to are your ads any good?
Analyze your internal metrics including click through rate and conversion rates. Are you proud of your performance? If the answer isn’t an emphatic “YES”, then you are losing ground to your competitors.
Google’s Quality Score is used to set your cost per click (CPC) amount and your position in the ad auction process. You can calculate your ad’s rank by multiplying the maximum CPC bid of your ad by your ad’s Quality Score. Better text, better design, better keywords and most importantly better results will give you a better Quality Score.
Factors to Think About
Quality is a subjective term, so what factors go into determining Google’s score?
Your Google Quality Score depends on multiple factors, including:
- Your ad’s click-through rate (CTR)
- Landing page quality and relevance to the ad itself
- Your historical AdWords account performance statistics
- The relevance of the keywords used to its ad group
- The relevance of your ad text
All of these factors are taken into account Google’s algorithm to finalize your “Quality Score”.
Click-through rate (CTR) is the imperative metric to optimize. When more people who see your ad end up clicking it, that is a strong signal to Google that you deserve to be showcased. Once they have determined that you are the best of the best you will be rewarded with:
- Higher ad rankings, increasing visibility
- Lower cost per click, saving you money
Quality is always a WIN-WIN.
Is my Quality Score any good?
Google’s default Quality Score is 5. The score is scaled from 1 to 10. Where your Quality Score ranks (higher or lower than 5) will illustrate how you compare with your competitors in your industry.
If you are seeing poor results, with a low click-through rate then it is possible your Quality Score can fall as low as a 1 on the scale. A Quality Score of 1 will inflate your CPC by 400% compared to a standard score of 5.
On the flip side, if your ads are crushing it and users are constantly clicking it then your score can reach a perfect 10. A score of 10 will reduce your CPC by 50% compared to an average score.
In summation, a “good” Quality Score will be anything over a 5. This means that you are beating your peers. This makes Quality Score a relative metric. The more competitive an industry is, the higher the bar will be set. Scoring a 10 in an unknown industry will be much easier than going up against marketing titans in a hyper-competitive industry.
Having a score of 10 will reduce your CPC by 50% and it will improve your rank, boosting your ROI. Having a score of 10 will help immensely in all facets of marketing. It is worth it to strive for a “good” Quality Score as a means of judging your performance.
4 Tips to Achieve that Perfect 10
Let’s improve your Quality Score, your cost per click depends on it!
If you want that sought after 10/10 Quality Score then focus on improving these components of your Ads. These tips will improve your Quality Score on your campaigns, leading to a boost in your performance with higher visibility and lower ad costs. These simple adjustments can make a big difference:
- Landing Page Perfection– Your landing pages needs to be relevant to the ad that users clicked on. Trying to sell tires and your ad is referencing food?…Goodluck with that. Make sure your ads and your landing page use overlapping keywords and headings that are relevant to what you are selling. This will make it easier for users to take action and not immediately bounce from your website.
- Alter your Text – Adjust your copy now. Make it relevant and targeted to your ad groups. This will provide instant results. Don’t just take my word for it, do it today! Okay, that was an example of poor copy. Now do the opposite and make your text extremely relevant to what you are trying to achieve. More relevant text will enhance the Quality Score of your campaign and boost your conversion rate tenfold.
- Keyword Research – Research will provide you with the knowledge you need to dominate your field. Find hidden keyword gems that your competitors are not using. Look for long-tailed keywords that are extremely relevant to your product or service. This makes it simpler to understand your searcher’s real intent. If everyone is going right, go left. Separate yourself from the competition by being over-prepared and by using completely different keyword tactics.
- Negative Keywords – Constantly research and exclude irrelevant keywords from your campaign. Keep updating your ads so that they are always operating with peak relevancy. This process will save you money by guaranteeing that your adverts are only shown to the most relevant visitors.
As good as you think your ads are now, there is always a higher level. If your Quality Score is not a 10 then you can do better. Much like life, Google will only reward the top 1%. Join that illustrious group now by optimizing your Quality Score. Make sure everything you advertise is hyper-relevant and watch your profits rise.